Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is difficult to believe that we are approaching the end of September. The return to school was busy for each of us. Everything has gone well and the children are well settled back into the routine and work. Thank you for all your support and assistance in helping us get off to a great start.
Here are some updates and reminders as we look to October.
Teaching & Learning
- French language lessons will start Tuesday 10th October for all pupils in 4th class and 6th The weekly one hour lessons are free and will happen during the school day for eight weeks. The lessons are funded by the Department of Education. The tutor is a French teacher from Westport.
- Class trips including a visit to the library and historical sites will start to happen shortly. The trips support class learning.
- Wellbeing is a major focus for our school. Read more here.
- All classes are working towards the Science Foundation Curious Minds Platinum Award. This means lots of practical investigations for your child to get stuck into during the year.
- School Assemblies happen every month. Our September assemblies were a great success.
- After School Clubs will begin in October. Check out the details here. More clubs will be added throughout the year for different age groups.
- Weekly tin whistle lessons with Tommy Doherty have started for all pupils from 2nd class to 6th Please make sure that your child practices at home and brings the tin whistle to school every day for classroom practice. The tin whistle is very important as part of our school band
- The school choir enjoyed a day out at ‘Annie’ in Bord Gáis, Dublin in early September. Thank you to the staff who brought them and to our Parent Association for part funding the bus.
- Parent Coffee Mornings for each class in turn are happening during term 1. They are an opportunity for parents to meet the class teacher and have general queries answered. We will send you a message ahead of your child’s class Coffee Morning.
- Parent Teacher Meetings will happen during term 1. More details to follow. Meanwhile, please feel free to arrange a meeting with your class teachers if there are any urgent matters.
- The school has recently purchased additional maths, reading and IT resources for use by all classes.
- Our Active School Flag renewal for 2023-2024 is underway. The Active Flag activities are all about getting children more active and involved in sport. Our Friday 11-B4-11 is off to a great start. We’re looking forward to Andy Moran, national Gaelic sports star and parent of two of our pupils, joining us on this Thursday to lead the whole school in a fun and very active session. Our Active School Calendar is here.
- Cross Country Running – Our school’s senior boys’ cross country team will compete in the County Finals on this Thursday. Our four teams competed last week in the area finals. Congratulations to all our runners and their coaches, Mrs. Coyle and Mrs. McCann.
- Weekly tennis lessons for the month of October start on Tuesday next week for all classes as part of the weekly PE timetable. Tim Clarke, coach from the local club will join us.
- Gymnastics lessons and Aerobic boxing lessons with trained external coaches will happen in term 2 as part of PE. More details later.
- Swimming lessons in Claremorris Pool begin for 4th class pupils in November. Lessons run for six weeks.
- Gaelic and soccer coaching is in planning for term 2.
- We should soon have a new set of school jerseys. Pupils designed the jerseys. Drury Oil, Ballaghaderreen provided the sponsorship.
Check out here photos of some school events so far.
Health, Safety & Welfare
- Orla Higgins, our Home School Community Liaison Co-ordinator, is available to support you as a parent with any matters that impact on your child’s time in school. Contact Orla at 086 793 0566 Watch out for more information from Orla shortly.
- Internet Safety evening workshop for parents is being arranged. Orla will share details with you. Please contact Orla if you have any suggestions for future parent workshops.
- A new Defibrillator was installed in the school.
- Please check your child regularly to avoid the spread of head lice. Let the school know if your child has head lice and treat the infection immediately.
- Remind your child of the Covid etiquette – cough and sneeze into the elbow; wash hands etc. Your child should stay at home if they have a positive Covid test i.e. 5 calendar days from the date of the test.
- E-payments: Please make sure that you have paid your family’s €50.00 for tin whistle lessons, school trips and art supplies. Thank you if you have already paid via E-Payments.
- School uniforms must be worn daily, except for class PE day.
- Lunches – please phone the school to cancel your child’s free school lunch if they are not eating them. We need to reduce waste.
- School attendance – It’s great to see very good attendance so far this year. A constant routine of daily school attendance is very important to help your child have the best start in their learning – arriving by 9.15am; staying in school for the whole day. We do not encourage children to be removed during the school day unless it is of an urgent matter.
- Parent Association AGM will be on in term 1 in the school GP Hall. Date and time will be shared with you soon. Please attend.
- Classes to provide the baked goods for our term 1 fundraising bake sales.
- 6th Class – 20th October
- 5th Class – 17th November
- 4th Class – 15th December
- Annual Christmas Card sale – more details later
Noel Loftus, Principal